Thick, rich and full of flavor, this Fire Roasted 20-Minute Pasta Sauce will have you giving up your store purchased sauce. Serve it with your favorite pasta, or use it as a pizza sauce.
This is by far one of my favorite go-to pasta sauce because it takes only 20 minutes. When meal planning I make it and store in my fridge until ready to use for the week. But it's so easy that you can make it while waiting on the water to boil and the pasta to cook.
Growing up my Mom used pasta sauce from a jar, but she always had me chop extra veggies to add-in, which is why I like hearty sauces.
Unlike my childhood days, I used a food processor to chop the carrots to get them into small pieces. The other veggies were chopped by hand and added to the pan with the carrots before adding the diced fire roasted tomatoes and sauce.
After 10 minutes of simmering you'll have a chunky pasta sauce. You can serve the sauce thick and chunky or process in the food processor for just a few seconds and make a less chunky sauce. Just look at all of that chunky goodness!
I processed the sauce to make a mouth-watering recipe that I will be sharing with you all next week. It's a super delicious one you don't want to miss.
- 2 carrot stick, chopped into tiny pieces
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion or half of one large onion
- 1 small yellow, red, or orange bell pepper, chopped 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 15 oz. cans of fire roasted diced tomatoes 1 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 heaping teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- After cleaning the carrots, place them in a food processor and process until they are small pieces, note the photo above. If you don't have a food processor, you can has a box grater or purchase pre shredded carrots and chop.
- Heat oil in a large pot over mediumhigh heat, add chopped carrots and onions to pan and sauté about 1 minute, the onions will start to soften. Add the peppers to the pan and sauté until they start to soften. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add in the remaining ingredients, reduce heat to a simmer and allow to cook 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Taste and add salt to taste.
- Allow sauce cool a bit before adding to blender or food processor if you choose to serve a less chunky sauce. Process sauce until desired consistency is reached.
- Transfer sauce to storage container and store in the fridge until ready to use or serve immediately with pasta if your choice. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes and serve.
- If serving sauce immediately, while sauce is cooking prepare your pasta of choice. When pasta is ready serve with pasta sauce.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 94
- Sugar: 6.9
- Sodium: 447.5
- Fat: 4.8
- Saturated Fat: 0.7
- Carbohydrates: 12.8
- Fiber: 5.5
- Protein: 2.3
- Cholesterol: 0
If you make this recipe or a version of it, take a picture and share with me on Instagram, tag it #thewholeserving or leave a comment below. I’d love to see or hear about your version of this Fire Roasted 20-Minute Pasta Sauce.