The tender bite of Farro, sweetness of Strawberries and the earthiness of fresh basil makes this Strawberry Basil Farro Salad the perfect combination of sweet and savory.
This salad is fast becoming my favorite go to lunch on my super busy days. However, my first experience with farro was several years ago when I prepared it for my sick child as a hot breakfast cereal. I used half almond milk and half water to boil the farro, to serve it I mixed in a bit more almond milk, agave nectar, berries and finished it off with a topping of granola and walnuts. My daughter feel in love with it and would ask for it often, and this is from a person who is not very fond of breakfast and this was a hot breakfast cereal.
This time I'm making it the main ingredient in a tasty salad.
What is farro you ask?
Farro is a very filling whole grain complex carbohydrate that's high in fiber, good source of iron, protein and provides sustained energy. For this recipe I used Bob's Red Mill Organic Farro which I soaked overnight to cut the cooking time to about 10 minutes, instead of 30 minutes.
The farro was paired with these beautiful strawberries and fresh basil to make a hearty, wholesome salad that is hard to resist.
Tender, sweet, earthy, crunchy are all words I use to describe this beautiful salad. To bring it all together a balsamic glaze is drizzled over the top, which acts as a dressing. You can purchase or make your own glaze, you an find my recipe here.
If you make this recipe or a version of it, take a picture and share with me on Instagram, tag it #thewholeserving or leave a comment below. I’d love to see your version of this Strawberry Basil Farro Salad.Print
- 1 cup uncooked farro
- 2 cups strawberries, quartered
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- juice of 1 medium lemon, about 3 tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons torn or chopped fresh basil leaves
- ½ cup pine nuts or chopped walnuts
- balsamic glaze
- Prepare the farro using the direct or pre-soak method. I used the pre-soak method.
- While farro is cooking wash and prepare the other ingredients.
- When farro is ready, drain and transfer to a large bowl. Add in the strawberries, onions, lemon juice, basil, and nuts, toss together.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon onto serving dish, drizzle with balsamic glaze and serve,
This salad can be served at room temperature or cold from the fridge.
Other salad add-in options:
celery, cranberries, apples, cucumbers, grapes, olives, green onions.
- Serving Size: 1 Cup
- Calories: 234
- Sugar: 6.4
- Sodium: 4.3
- Fat: 10.3
- Saturated Fat: 0.8
- Carbohydrates: 32.5
- Fiber: 5.8
- Protein: 7.6
- Cholesterol: 0