Cozy, warm, comforting, and easy to make. This creamy soup is filled with vegetables, northern beans, rosemary, and cream. It's one of my Fall favorites.
Some of my other favorites are Northern Bean Cauliflower Soup, Vegetarian Taco Soup, Sun-Dried Tomato and Chickpea Soup, and Vegan Potato Broccoli Soup.
This soup is the perfect solution for those busy weeknights or weekends for that matter. Simply pair it with some crusty bread and a green salad and your dinner is ready.
- Olive oil
- Poultry seasoning
- Chicken stock
- Boneless chicken breast
- Northern beans
- Heavy cream
See recipe card for quantities.
This soup is really simple and straightforward to make. Using the basic saute and simmer method.
Add olive oil to a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium heat. When the oil starts to shimmer add the onions, carrots, and celery. Saute until veggies are tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic and rosemary to the pot and continue to cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
Make your roux
Add the butter to the pot, when melted add in flour. Cook over medium heat until flour has thickened, about 3 - 4 minutes.
Stir in chicken stock and add chicken to the pot, cover with a lid and allow soup to cook until chicken has cooked through, about 7 to 8 minutes on medium heat. Remove chicken and allow to cool for 5 minutes. While the chicken is cooling a bit, open a can of beans and rinse and drain liquid from the beans, set aside. Shred chicken into small bite-size pieces using two forks or your fingers.
Add shredded chicken, beans, and cream
Add the shredded chicken and beans to the pot, and stir to combine. Stir in cream and allow soup to simmer for 2-3 minutes more. Remove from burner, and serve immediately.
How to serve
This creamy soup is filling on its own, but you can add some crusty bread and a green salad to complete the meal. This creamy rosemary chicken soup is a favorite in my home and it's so versatile. You can add baby spinach to veggie it up a bit, you can also serve it with rice or pasta. I finished mine off with a bit of shredded parmesan cheese.
To store any leftovers, place in an airtight container and store in your fridge and consume within a week. If you need to freeze your soup the Souper Cube 1-Cup Freezer tray is great for freezing in smaller portions. These cubes allow you to freeze in smaller portions, allowing you to use the portions as needed.
No, you can use turkey, Italian sausage, or any other protein of your choice.
To make it vegan omit the chicken, use vegetable stock and plant-based butter and coconut milk instead of cream.
Yes, this soup does well after freezing. You may have to add additional stock or water when reheating.
Cozy, warm, and comforting, and easy to make. This creamy soup is filled with vegetables, shredded chicken, northern beans, rosemary, and cream. One of my Fall favorites.
2 boneless Chicken breasts, about 1 lb
1 ½ tablespoon olive oil
½ medium onion, diced about 1 cup
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced, about 2 cups
2 ribs of celery, diced, about 2 cups
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped, about 2 sprigs
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
4 tablespoons butter
¼ cup flour
5-5 ½ cups chicken stock
2 cans 15 cans northern beans, rinsed and drained
⅓ cup heavy cream
shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cut chicken breast into 4-5 inch pieces and season with salt and pepper and set aside. The smaller pieces allow the chicken to cook faster after adding it to the soup.
- Heat olive oil in a stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. When the oil starts to shimmer add onions, celery, and carrots to the pot. Sauté until the veggies are tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, rosemary, and poultry seasoning to the pot and continue to cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the butter to the pot, when melted whisk in the flour. Whisk over medium heat until flour has thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken to the pot, cover with a lid and allow to cook until chicken has cooked through about 7-9 minutes. Stir occasionally to avoid any sticking. If the soup seems too thick add in more chicken stock ½ a cup at a time. When done, remove the chicken from the pot and allow it to cool down for 5 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooling, open the beans, rinse and drain and set aside. Shred chicken into bite-size pieces using two forks or your fingers.
- Add shredded chicken and beans to the pot and stir to combine. Continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in cream and simmer for 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. If the soup is too thick, add more stock or cream as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Keywords: creamy chicken soup, chicken soup, rosemary chicken soup, creamy rosemary chicken soup, creamy soup