Layers of fruit, creamy goat cheese and lettuce, this Red White & Blue Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing is colorful and perfect for patriotic celebrations.
I made this for Memorial Day and it was a big hit, everyone loved it.
l know most people think of a big bowl of lettuce and veggies when they hear the word salad. Here’s the dictionary definition:
a cold dish of various mixtures of raw or cooked vegetables, usually seasoned with oil, vinegar, or other dressing and sometimes accompanied by meat, fish, or other ingredients.“a green salad”
a mixture containing a specified ingredient served with a dressing.
a vegetable suitable for eating raw.
I’m a big salad eater and my salads aren’t always big bowls of veggies. I love adding sweet or tart berries to greens for a salad that’s extraordinary with remarkable flavor.
It’s like magic in the mouth when the sweet juicy fruit mixes with the creaminess of the cheese and earthiness of the greens. And oh by the way this Poppy Seed Dressing is awesome.
This Red White & Blue Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing can be easily made ahead in jars and served individually at summer gatherings.
Simply fill the bottom of each jar with dressing, add the berries, goat cheese and top if off with the greens. When it’s time to eat, give it a shake to dress the salad and enjoy!
- 1/2 cup vegan poppy seed dressing
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
- 1 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 cup blueberries
- 4 cups baby spinach or spring lettuce mix
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- To assemble salad in jars, start by pouring 2 tablespoons of dressing into bottom of jar. Add 1/2 cup of strawberries,1/4 cup cheese, 1/4 cup blueberries, 1 cup lettuce and top with 1 tablespoon nuts.
- Repeat with the remaining jars.
- When ready to serve, give jars a big shake to toss dressing with salad.
- Eat straight from the jar of dump into a bowl and enjoy!
VARIATIONS: TRADE WATERMELON CUBES OR RASPBERRIES FOR STRAWBERRIES AND FETA FOR GOAT CHEESE.
If you make this recipe take a picture and tag @thewholeserving on Instagram and hashtag it #thewholeserving, I want to see your version of Red White & Blue Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing.