Cozy, warm, and comforting, and easy to make. This creamy soup is filled with vegetables, shredded chicken, northern beans, rosemary, and cream. One of my Fall favorites.
2 boneless Chicken breasts, about 1 lb
1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 medium onion, diced about 1 cup
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced, about 2 cups
2 ribs of celery, diced, about 2 cups
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped, about 2 sprigs
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
4 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup flour
5-5 1/2 cups chicken stock
2 cans 15 cans northern beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup heavy cream
shredded parmesan cheese (optional)
- Cut chicken breast into 4-5 inch pieces and season with salt and pepper and set aside. The smaller pieces allow the chicken to cook faster after adding it to the soup.
- Heat olive oil in a stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. When the oil starts to shimmer add onions, celery, and carrots to the pot. Sauté until the veggies are tender, about 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, rosemary, and poultry seasoning to the pot and continue to cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add the butter to the pot, when melted whisk in the flour. Whisk over medium heat until flour has thickened, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken to the pot, cover with a lid and allow to cook until chicken has cooked through about 7-9 minutes. Stir occasionally to avoid any sticking. If the soup seems too thick add in more chicken stock ½ a cup at a time. When done, remove the chicken from the pot and allow it to cool down for 5 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooling, open the beans, rinse and drain and set aside. Shred chicken into bite-size pieces using two forks or your fingers.
- Add shredded chicken and beans to the pot and stir to combine. Continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in cream and simmer for 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. If the soup is too thick, add more stock or cream as needed until desired consistency is reached.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
Keywords: creamy chicken soup, chicken soup, rosemary chicken soup, creamy rosemary chicken soup, creamy soup