Kale, it’s not just for smoothies, turns out it makes great salads. I’m a big lover of salads, there are times when I’ll eat salad for lunch and dinner everyday, and if you count my green smoothie breakfast, it’s salad all day.
When life gets busy, and mine is always in the busy mode, salads are just plain easy. Mix, toss and eat.
If you load them with the right ingredients, they’re powerful good for you, and Kale is a powerhouse green.
I like variety in my salads and this salad has it. Sweet, salty, crunchy and tart to name a few. Crisp earthiness of kale, sweet strawberries, crunchy pine nuts, add in the sweet and tart dried cranberries and this salad explodes with flavor.
The key to making great kale salad is to chop it and massage it with oil, olive oil is my choice. Massaging it transforms it from rough and tough to tender and delicious.
The dressing that accompanies this salad is so simple, easy and tasteful. I used the basic vinaigrette recipe and added pureed strawberries to make it a strawberry vinaigrette.
- 1 bunch lacinato kale (dino kale) washed and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup red onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1/4 cup roasted pine nuts
- Strawberry Vinaigrette Dressing
- 2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons, rice vinegar
- 6 tablespoons, extra virgin olive oil
- 4 medium to large strawberries, pureed
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- dash of freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
- Place all vinaigrette ingredients in a glass jar, a mason jar is perfect this step.
- Secure jar with top and shake, shake, shake.
- Set Vinaigrette dressing aside while you assemble the salad.
- Place kale into a large bowl, drizzle teaspoon olive oil over greens.
- Gently massage greens with fingers for 2 to three minutes to coat with oil.
- Add in the onions, cranberries, strawberries and toss.
- Message 2 to 3 tablespoons of vinaigrette into salad, and sprinkle on pine nuts before serving.
- Have fun and enjoy!
- Category: Salad