What do you do when you want to eat more veggie? Include them in your desserts! I've made breads and cakes with zucchini, but I wanted to try something different today, and my go to veggie was kale. Yes, you read right, kale, kale and avocado, what a wonderful combo. They're awesome together in salads and in these brownies, they're no different.
The perfect way to hide veggies is to do it with chocolate, no one will know they're there unless you tell them. I used avocado to replace the unhealthy fat, it also helps to make these brownies moist.
Kale Avocado Brownie
2 cups, all-purpose flour
2 cups, unrefined coconut sugar
⅔ cups, cacao powder
1 teaspoon, baking soda
½ teaspoon, baking powder
1 teaspoon, sea salt
2 cup, chopped kale
2 tablespoons, water
1 medium avocado, mashed
½ cup, Greek yogurt
2 teaspoon, vanilla
½ cup, strong black coffee
Avocado Cream Topping
2 medium, avocados, mashed
3 tablespoons, fresh lemon juice
1 8oz. package of Green Mountain cream cheese and Greek yogurt spead (can use plain)
½ teaspoon, vanilla
1 ¼ cup, unrefined coconut sugar
½ cup, cacao powder
⅛ cup, maple syrup or honey
dash of sea salt
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a square or rectangle cake pan.
2. In a large bowl combine, flour, sugar, cacao, baking soda, baking soda and salt and set aside.
3. Place kale, water and avocado in blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
4. Add yogurt, vanilla, eggs and coffee to kale mixture and blend until combined.
5. Slowly mix in the flour mixture until batter is smooth.
6. Pour batter into prepared pan.
7. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of brownies, comes out clean.
While brownies are baking.....
8. Blend avocados, lemon juice, cream cheese, vanilla and sugar until smooth.
9. Transfer to storage container, cover and place in fridge.
10. Slowly mix together cacao powder and salt with syrup or honey, adding more or less to suit your taste, you can thicken or thin out the sauce using some water.
11.Cool brownie completely before spreading with avocado cream.
12. Strip with chocolate sauce.
13. Take a toothpick,skewer or tip if pointy knife, and drag it through the icing in zig-zag motion to create pattern.
14. Place in fridge to set.
Slice and enjoy!
Such a delicious way to get more veggies, in don't you agree!