Vegan Teriyaki Tofu Stir Fry, better than any delivery or take-out. The spicy, sweet and bold with flavor teriyaki sauce will have you tossing out all your store bought sauce.
There’s something about the spice-sweet combo that I love and could taste the goodness of this recipe while it was only a thought in my head. But Oh My Gosh, the deliciousness of this recipe far exceeded my expectations.
This teriyaki sauce is a perfect balance of sweet to heat and because I used coconut aminos I reduced the amount of sodium in the sauce.
I made it three times before I got it right and once it comes to a boil it’s ready in five minutes.
Pressing the tofu gets out more of the water. I simply place a clean kitchen towel or paper towel on a shallow baking pan, slice tofu in half, place on towels and place another towel on top of the tofu, then place another pan on top and put a few heavy cookbooks on the top pan. After about 15 minutes it should be ready.
After pressing and cubing tofu, toss with the five spice seasoning, set aside while you prep the other vegetables.
This recipe is very versatile and comes together fairly quickly, you can serve it as a bowl or wrap. I paired it with brown rice and napa cabbage, but feel free to add in your favorites. Who needs take-out when you have this quick, easy and delicious recipe.
If you make this recipe or a version of it, take a picture and share with me on Instagram, tag it #thewholeserving. I’d love to see your version of Vegan Teriyaki Tofu Stir Fry!
- VeganTeriyaki Sauce
- 1/2 cup tamari
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon red chili paste
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- Stir Fry
- 2 cups brown rice, cooked
- 4 cups chopped napa cabbage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 oz package of extra firm tofu, pressed
- 1 teaspoon asian five spice
- 8 oz. package of crimini whole mushrooms (or mushrooms of your choice)
- 1 medium carrot julienned
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- flatbread of your choice (optional)
- 2 scallions(green onions) chopped
- toasted sesame oil (optional)
- Place all of the teriyaki ingredients in a small saucepan, whisk to combine.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, when it comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium and continue to boil five more minutes, stirring occasionally. After five minutes sauce should coat the back of a spoon. Transfer to a bowl cover and set aside. Sauce will continue to thicken as it cools.
- Dice the tofu into 1 inch cubes, place in a shallow dish, toss with asian five spice and set aside.
- Wash and slice the mushrooms and wash a chop the scallions.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat, when oil is shimmering add tofu to the pan and saute 3 to 4 minutes. Add in 1 tablespoon of the teriyaki sauce and toss to coat and saute about 1 minute more. Transfer to bowl cover and set aside.
- Add in the final 1 tablespoon of oil and add the mushrooms and saute 1 minute, add in the carrots and minced garlic, saute another minute. Add in 1 and 1/2 tablespoons of the teriyaki sauce toss to coat. Add tofu back to skillet and toss to combine.
- Spoon rice and chopped napa into a bowl, spoon tofu veggie mix on top, garnish with scallions and drizzle with a small amount of toasted sesame oil or serve on top of flatbread.
- Serve and enjoy!
*Leftover sauce will last two weeks stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
*Chicken can be swapped for tofu if you are not a tofu eater.
- Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
- Calories: 226
- Sugar: 6.2
- Sodium: 535.1
- Fat: 9.5
- Saturated Fat: 2.1
- Carbohydrates: 23
- Fiber: 4.5
- Protein: 10.6