Carrots for breakfast, why not when they're in these moist delicious Vegan Carrot Cake Bars topped with brown sugar, oat, and a sweet citrus glaze.
I love a good carrot cake but I don't make it often. The other day while at the grocery I picked up a 4-pack of carrot cake muffins, but after reading the price and calorie count I decided to go home a try making them myself and skip the fluffy frosting.
As the recipe came together it became more of a bread and not the standard cake or muffins, but calling it carrot bread bars just didn't sound right so I'm calling it Vegan Carrot Cake Bars because it's egg and dairy free.
The batter is sweetened with only a ½ cup of maple syrup which makes it more of a breakfast or snack bread. I did however, sprinkle the top with a mixture of oats and brown sugar and drizzled it with a citrus sugar glaze for a little sweetness.
For those who are concerned about the sugar, you can simply omit or reduce the amount of sugar used. Some other add-in options are raisins, nuts, coconut flakes or simply sprinkle the top with the nuts and coconut.
- 2 cups shredded carrots, I used 2 and ½ medium carrots
- 2 cups whole wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- zest of one medium orange, about 1 teaspoon
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- ½ cup sparkling water (to replace the egg)
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- ⅔ cups oats
- CITRUS GLAZE
- 1 ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9x11 shallow baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Shred the carrots, cover and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine all of the dry ingredients and in another bowl combine all of the wet ingredients.
- Pour the wet into the dry and mix until well combined.
- Transfer mixture to the baking pan and spread evenly in pan.
- In a small bowl mix the brown sugar and oats and sprinkle using your fingers over the surface of the batter.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- While the carrot bread is cooling mix together the powdered sugar and orange juice until well combined, it may seen that more liquid is needed, but please don't add or it will be too thin.
- When bread has cooled, drizzle the glaze over the cake, slice and serve.
Store uneaten bread in an airtight container in the fridge. You can also freeze wrapped bread.
- Serving Size: 2 oz.
- Calories: 301
- Sugar: 26.2
- Sodium: 245.6
- Fat: 7.8
- Saturated Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 55
- Fiber: 5.1
- Protein: 5.2
If you make this recipe or a version of it, please take a picture and share with me on Instagram, tag it #thewholeserving. I’d love to see your version of this Vegan Carrot Cake Bars.