This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #FallWithATwist #CollectiveBias
The weather here in Texas is getting cooler and closer to the time when I can put on a pair of boots and wrap a scarf around my neck and not feel the need to peel it all off by the late afternoon. I’m looking forward to sipping hot tea in the afternoons and snuggling up on the couch in front of a cozy fire with a big bowl of hearty stew for dinner.
This Sweet Potato Lentil stew is true comfort food that screams Fall!!!
Growing up my mother made a lot of stews during the cold weather months and this recipe is reminiscent of those stews. I generally have one or two bags of MorningStar Farms Grillers Crumbles in my freezer at all times, so while shopping at Target I picked up a couple more bags of crumbles to be sure I had enough to get me through a weekend that was forecasted to be filled with rain and cooler temperatures. Perfect weather for a big pot of stew.
I love the new layout and labeling in Target, it’s much easier to find what I need. I found what I needed in the freezer section under meat alternative.
Add the vegetable stock, and fire roasted diced tomatoes.
Finely chopped chipotle in adobe sauce.
Diced sweet potatoes.
Finally add one bag of MorningStar Farms Grillers Crumbles.
The creamy texture of the sweet potatoes helps to mellow out some of the heat from the chipotle. I made a big pot of this and enjoyed it all weekend. It just gets better day after day.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 cup black lentils
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped chiptole in adobe sauce
- 3 cup diced sweet potatoes (about 1-inch in size)
- 1 bag of MorningStar Farms Grillers Crumbles
- Heat olive oil in a large stock pot on medium low, add the onions, celery, and carrots, saute until vegetables start to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, basil, thyme, oregano and salt, continue to cook until the herbs become fragrant, about 30 to 35 seconds.
- Add the stock, tomatoes, brown sugar, lentils, and chipotle. Stir, cover, and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in the sweet potatoes and MorningStar Farms Grillers Crumbles, continue to cook until lentils and potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Add in more stock as needed if it stew gets to dry.
- Taste and season with more salt as needed before serving.
- Spoon into serving bowls and enjoy!
If you use green lentils add them to the stew when you add in the sweet potatoes to prevent them from becoming to soft.
Serve stew with crusty bread.
- Serving Size: 1 cup
- Calories: 238
- Sugar: 8.7
- Sodium: 420.4
- Fat: 4.3
- Saturated Fat: .5
- Unsaturated Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 34.2
- Fiber: 8.4
- Protein: 15.4
- Cholesterol: 0
For more MorningStar Farms recipe ideas check out their homepage. And I’d love to hear about your favorite MorningStar Farms recipe. Leave a comment below sharing your favorites.