This recipe was adapted from Easy Hoisin Shrimp from Gimme Some Oven.
It’s true what they say, we eat with our eyes first, that’s why I knew I had to give this recipe a try when I saw it on Gimme Some Oven. However, because the original recipe uses shrimp, I had to make a few changes~ I don’t eat animal flesh and one other very important reason~ I have a shellfish allergy.
Tofu replaced the shrimp, coconut aminos was used instead of soy sauce, I added a bit of hot chili sauce for spice, sesame oil and cilantro, I used because I absolutely love their flavors together.
I love that this recipe is so versatile, the original recipe uses shrimp, I used tofu and I’m sure you could use chicken, salmon or beef.
Ali, over at Gimme Some Oven, served her dish up on a bed of rice, while I served my tofu on a bed of farro, because it’s what I had on hand. It would also be great on a bed of veggies or noodles.
If you try this recipe, let me know how you serve it, be sure to tag it #thewholeserving on Instagram or Twitter, I’d love to see!
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon coconut aminos
- 1 1/2 teaspoon hot chili paste
- 1 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 12 ounces firm or extra firm pressed tofu, cubed
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- sesame seeds for sprinkling
- Combine hoisin sauce, rice wine vinegar, coconut aminos, hot chili paste and sesame oil in a small bowl. Mix until well combined and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add half of the tofu and saute for 2 to 3 minutes, or until tofu starts to brown. Transfer browned tofu to a plate lined with paper towel to drain. Repeat with remaining tofu.
- Add tofu back to skillet along with the hoisin mixture, tossing to coat tofu evenly.
- Saute another 2 to 3 minutes, making sure tofu is evenly coated and sauce is throughly heated.
- Remove from heat and serve over farro, rice, veggies, noodles, whatever you choose.
- Sprinkle on sesame seeds and cilantro.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 4
- Calories: 148
- Sugar: 4.9
- Sodium: 286.4
- Fat: 9.5
- Saturated Fat: 1.8
- Trans Fat: 0.0
- Carbohydrates: 8.8
- Fiber: 1.3
- Protein: 7.6
- Cholesterol: 0.5