Simply delicious and full of flavor, you have to give this Black Bean Farro Burger a try, and serve it with this super tasty Spicy Slaw.
Let's talk veggie burgers!
Since becoming a vegetarian let me tell you, I've had a few. I remember the first time I ordered one at a restaurant how surprised I was when it was placed in front of me, it was a pre-packaged frozen burger I could have purchased from my grocery. Those burgers are ok and they are tasty, but I wanted a hand-made veggie burger.
So my quest was on for an awesome veggie burger. I've tried many a recipe and I don't expect for the burger to taste like meat, I just want a tasty burger that doesn't require a super long list of ingredients. Let's be real, when searching for recipes if the recipe has a boat load of ingredients I'm probably going to move on to the next one. My criteria was a recipe that didn't have a super long ingredient list, ingredients were easy to find or sub if needed and the instructions easy to follow.
The idea for this burger came to me while eating my Strawberry Basil Farro Salad. Because farro has a textured bite I thought would be perfect in a veggie burger. Turns out I was right. You just have to be careful not to over-mix or it will turn to mush.
These burgers are easily prepared by heating them in a skillet, grill pan or counter top grill. After allowing them to cool slightly, serve on buns with desired toppings. One you might want to add is the Homemade Vegan Barbecue Sauce, I shared last week, you can find the recipe here.
To take this burger up a notch I made this spicy slaw to be served alongside or on top. To make it even easier I started with a pre-sliced bag of slaw and added some carrots, jalapeño, cilantro and chia seeds.
Very simple, satisfying, super filling and need I say seriously delicious. This recipe is a winner!
- ⅔ cup uncooked farro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 1 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 ½ tablespoon McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak seasoning or steak seasoning of your choice
- 1 ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons Homemade Vegan Barbeque Sauce
- Prepare farro according to packaged directions, when done place in a large bowl, cover and set aside.
- While farro is cooking, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, when oil is simmering add onions and saute until onions are softened and translucent. Add onions to the bowl with the farro.
- Open can of black beans, rinse, drain and with clean hands mash them over the bowl with the farro, some of the beans will be unmashed and that's ok. You do not want to over mash.
- Add in the liquid smoke, sugar, garlic powder, paprika, steak seasoning, bread crumbs and barbeque sauce.
- Using your fingers gently mix all of the ingredients together until it can be molded into a burger without falling apart. If mixture is too dry add in a bit more sauce, if too wet add in more bread crumbs.
- Mold the mixture into desired size burger. More for a larger burger, less for sliders.
- If preparing burgers in a skillet, add small amount of oil to heated skillet to lightly coat the bottom.
- Add burgers to the pan and cook until browned on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- If using a grill pan, brush pan with oil and grill the burgers until browned on each side, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- When burgers have cooled slightly, serve on buns with desired toppings.
These burgers can easily be frozen for later. After cooking allow to cool, wrap in parchment paper or wrap in plastic wrap. Place wrapped burgers in a freezer zip bag and remove as much air as you can, zip and place in the freezer.
- Serving Size: 4 oz.
- Calories: 257
- Sugar: 5.1
- Sodium: 212.4
- Fat: 4.2
- Saturated Fat: 0.6
- Carbohydrates: 46.5
- Fiber: 9.5
- Protein: 10.5
- SPICY SLAW
- 1 14 oz. bag of pre-sliced green and red cabbage
- ½ cup shredded carrots
- 2 jalapeños chopped
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- salt and pepper as needed
- SLAW DRESSING
- ¼ cup vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon agave nectar
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- Place all of the spicy slaw in a large bowl.
- In a smaller bowl combine the dressing ingredients.
- pour over the slaw and toss to combine.
- Taste and season with a bit of salt and pepper as needed.
- Serving Size: 3.4 oz.
- Calories: 118
- Sugar: 6.9
- Sodium: 125.5
- Fat: 6.3
- Saturated Fat: 0.6
- Carbohydrates: 14.2
- Fiber: 5.1
- Protein: 3.3
- Cholesterol: 0
If you make this recipe or a version of it, take a picture and share with me on Instagram, tag it #thewholeserving or leave a comment below. I’d love to see or hear about your version of this Black Bean Farro Burger and Slaw.