- 2/3 cup uncooked farro
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 15 oz. can black beans
- 1 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 tablespoon McCormick Grill Mates Montreal Steak seasoning or steak seasoning of your choice
- 1 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons Homemade Vegan Barbeque Sauce
- Prepare farro according to packaged directions, when done place in a large bowl, cover and set aside.
- While farro is cooking, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, when oil is simmering add onions and saute until onions are softened and translucent. Add onions to the bowl with the farro.
- Open can of black beans, rinse, drain and with clean hands mash them over the bowl with the farro, some of the beans will be unmashed and that's ok. You do not want to over mash.
- Add in the liquid smoke, sugar, garlic powder, paprika, steak seasoning, bread crumbs and barbeque sauce.
- Using your fingers gently mix all of the ingredients together until it can be molded into a burger without falling apart. If mixture is too dry add in a bit more sauce, if too wet add in more bread crumbs.
- Mold the mixture into desired size burger. More for a larger burger, less for sliders.
- If preparing burgers in a skillet, add small amount of oil to heated skillet to lightly coat the bottom.
- Add burgers to the pan and cook until browned on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- If using a grill pan, brush pan with oil and grill the burgers until browned on each side, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- When burgers have cooled slightly, serve on buns with desired toppings.
These burgers can easily be frozen for later. After cooking allow to cool, wrap in parchment paper or wrap in plastic wrap. Place wrapped burgers in a freezer zip bag and remove as much air as you can, zip and place in the freezer.
- Serving Size: 4 oz.
- Calories: 257
- Sugar: 5.1
- Sodium: 212.4
- Fat: 4.2
- Saturated Fat: 0.6
- Carbohydrates: 46.5
- Fiber: 9.5
- Protein: 10.5