Last weekend I whipped up a batch of tasty vegan brownies, using xylitol as a sweetener to replace the refined sugar, much to my dismay, my digestive system couldn’t handle the xylitol.
Next I tried using stevia, I didn’t like it, so I decided to use coconut sugar and it was a winner.
These brownies were so moist and full of flavor, hard not to eat the whole pan.
I have been obsessing over Trader Joe’s sunflower seed butter lately, so I made a sunflower seed cream to top off the brownies.
Super Moist Vegan Brownies
4 tablespoons ground flax seed
6 tablespoons warm water
1/2 cup (1stick) Earth Balance non-dairy butter
1 cup of coconut sugar
1teaspoon vanilla extract
1 & 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 cup carob powder
2teaspoons, espresso powder
1/8 cup of almond milk
1cup oat flour
11/2 to 2 oz. dark chocolate candy bar, chopped (optional)
Sunflower Seed Butter Cream
8 oz. softened vegan cream cheese
1/2 cup sunflower seed butter, or nut butter of your choice
1/4 cup coconut sugar
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a square 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray
2. Mix together softened vegan cream cheese, sunflower seed butter and sugar.
3. Cover and place in fridge.
4. Mix ground flax seeds with the warm water, and set aside.
5. In a large mixing bowl, melt the non-dairy butter in a microwave.
6. When butter is all melted, mix in sugar, vanilla, baking powder, salt, carob powder, and milk. Mix to combine.
7. Add in oat flour.
8. Lastly stir in the chopped chocolate bar.
9. Pour batter into prepared pan.
10. Bake on the middle rack of oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until brownies pull away from side of pan and it springs back when slightly touched.
11. Remove from oven and let cool. When cooled, top with sunflower seed topping. Cut into squares and enjoy.
Store in airtight container to keep fresh.