Labor Day, the holiday that marks the end of summer and the start of Fall has come and gone and they're fall decorations in all the stores, but the heat is still on here in Texas.
If you're still dealing with the heat like I am, this is a beautiful, delicious frozen treat that's sure to help cool you down.
I've been craving a frozen treat that's not plain old almond or coconut ice cream, popsicles, or anything dairy. And then it happened, I cleaned out my fridge and freezer.
Whenever I have fresh foods that are approaching the use me or loose me phase, I freeze for later use. After the
fun of cleaning my fridge and freezer, I had all I needed to put together a sweet, delicious frozen treat.
Almonds, dates, coconut milk, strawberries and cherries, put them together and freeze-- you get crunchy, smooth, creamy and tart delicious goodness.
You can use whatever fruit you have on hand, got blueberries, make it blueberry- blackberries, raspberries, pineapples, go for it!
Give it a try and let me know how it works for you.Print
- 1 ½ cups pitted dates
- dash of sea salt
- 1 ½ cups whole almonds
- Strawberry Cherry Sauce
- 1 ½ cups sliced strawberries
- 1 ½ cups pitted cherries
- 4 pitted dates
- 2 tablespoons, fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Coconut Cream
- 3 cans of full fat coconut milk
- ⅓ cup maple syrup
- Process almonds and salt in food processor into small bits.
- Add in dates and pulse until mixture forms a dough and comes together. When dough stays together when squeezed between fingers it's ready for the next step.
- Line a 8 x 12 cookie sheet with parchment paper, making sure to leave extra on each end for easy removal.
- Transfer date mixture to pan and press using back of spoon or fingers to about ¼ inch, set aside.
- Place strawberries, cherries, dates and lemon juice in blender and process until smooth.
- Transfer to bowl, cover and set aside.
- Open two cans of coconut milk, making sure not to shake can.
- Using a spoon, scoop off the solid cream, leaving the water at the bottom of the can, and place in medium mixing bowl. Store coconut water for use later, great for mixing in smoothies.
- Add in 3 tablespoons of the maple syrup to coconut cream and mix with hand blender until well combined and mixture thickens.
- Add in ½ cup of strawberry/cherry mixture to cream and mix until well combined.
- Spread cream mixture over almond/date crust.
- Place in freezer and allow to freeze for 1 to 2 hours, it will not be completely frozen, but solid enough to spread on next layer.
- Spread remaining fruit mixture over the cream layer, return to freezer and allow to freeze 3 to 4 hours or overnight.
- Open final can of coconut milk and scoop off cream, placing in small mixing bowl.
- Add in remaining 2 tablespoons of maple syrup and beat with hand mixer until mixture thickens.
- Transfer to squeeze bottle or piping bag and store upright in a glass in fridge until pan mixture is completely frozen.
- When completely frozen, remove from pan and cut into squares.
- Squeeze coconut cream over squares using a back and forth motion.
- Transfer to serving platter and serve.
- Store extra squares in airtight container in freezer.
- Category: Sweets, Vegan