But what will the veggies and vegans have on the table to eat, other than the veggie platter or salads?
At the gathering I’m attending, there will be plenty of good eats, because I’m making sure of it. The party is at my brother’s and I’m taking some super veggie-vegan fare. I’ll be sharing them with you this week.
My first share is this meatless mix that can be prepared as Meatless Meatballs, Sliders or Sloppy Joes.
The use of tempeh along with the nuts and seeds in the recipe gives these burgers a meaty texture.
It might fool some of the guest, it looks like the real deal.
Slice up some peppers and onions, saute with 2 to 3 cloves of crushed garlic and you have got a topping for Meatless Hoagies.
Who wouldn’t want to eat one of these yummies.
Crumble a burger, add some sauce and you’ve got a Sloppy Joe.
A plate filled with goodness!Print
- Meatless Mix
- 1 8oz. package of tempeh
- 1 14.5oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium yellow or white onion chopped
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoons, your choice Grill Mates Seasoning
- 1 ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon, chipotle chili powder (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sweet and Hot Barbecue Sauce
- 1 14oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons, Worcestershire sauce (Annie’s brand is vegan)
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon stone ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper powder, more if you like it hotter
- Sesame Ginger Sauce
- ½ cup sweet and hot Barbecue sauce
- ½ cup raw coconut aminos or low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons, toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 to 2 teaspoons, hot chili oil (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with cooking spray, set aside.
- Place tempeh in a saucepan with ½ cup water and bring to a boil, when water starts to boil, reduce to medium low and simmer for 1 minute on each side, remove from pan, chop and place in food processor.
- Add the black beans, onions, nuts and seeds, tomato paste, Worcestershire and seasoning to tempeh and process until mixture is combined, scraping down sides as needed, but not completely smooth. Mixture should still have some small chunks, this adds texture.
- Taste and add additional seasoning as needed.
- Form mixture into 12 patties or balls and place on prepared pan.
- Bake 40 minutes, turning after 20 minutes of baking.
- While burgers or meatless balls are cooking
- Place all sweet and hot barbecue sauce ingredients into a medium saucepan and bring to a soft boil, simmer for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer to bowl and serve over meatless balls or with sliders.
- Store any unused sauce in the fridge.
- Sesame Ginger Sauce
- Mix Sweet and Hot barbecue sauce, coconut aminos or soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger and hot chili oil in a small bowl.
- Serve with meatless balls and sliders for an Asian flair.
- Serving Size: 1 Burger
- Calories: 129
- Sugar: 1.2
- Sodium: 51
- Fat: 5.6
- Saturated Fat: 0.8
- Carbohydrates: 13.6
- Fiber: 3.9
- Protein: 7.9
- Cholesterol: 0