Easy and delicious, Lemon Thyme Blueberry Buns, perfect for a brunch gathering or an afternoon snack with a spot of tea.
Blueberries, a superfood that's low in calories and high in nutrients like vitamin C, K, manganese and fiber. One cup of blueberries contains about 84 calories and 15 grams of carbohydrates. Blueberries are also filled with antioxidant which protect our bodies from free radicals that can contribute to aging and diseases like cancer.
They are best when eaten fresh, but I have to admit I like them better when they are added to pancakes, muffins and recipes like these Lemon Thyme Blueberry Buns.
In this recipe I added lemon and thyme to the blueberries when making the sauce, it may sound like a strange combination to some, but these three flavors together add a bit of subtle earthiness that's so delicious.
For this recipe you can use fresh or frozen blueberries when making this sauce, as it cools it will thicken and become more of a jam. Dried wild blueberries were added before rolling the dough for an extra blueberry touch.
This blueberry sauce is lightly sweetened with maple syrup so that it doesn't over-sweeten when the sugar glaze is added.
Serve these and everyone will be licking their fingers and begging for more. I serve mine with a bit of the blueberry sauce on top. The tartness of the blueberries is absolutely amazing with the sweetness of the glaze.
If you make these Lemon Thyme Blueberry Buns let me know what you think. Take a picture and post it on Instagram and tag it #thewholeserving.
Lemon Thyme Blueberry Buns
- Prep Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 2 hours 20 mins
- Yield: 12 1x
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons natural cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons, melted Earth Balance vegan butter or real butter if not vegan
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (optional)
- Blueberry Sauce
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup dried wild blueberries
- 1 ½ cup natural cane powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- Heat almond milk in the microwave in a small bowl for 20 to 25 seconds or until warm to the touch, not too hot or it will kill the yeast.
- Stir in the sugar and sprinkle the yeast over the warm milk, allow to proof for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Prepare a 7x11 or 9x13 by brushing with oil or spraying with a non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk (Affiliate Link) together the flour, salt and thyme. Add in the milk mixture and melted vegan butter.
- Mix until the dough comes together. Transfer to a floured work surface, sprinkle dough with a small amount of flour and knead dough for 5 minutes.
- Rub large bowl with vegan butter and place the dough in the bowl, cover and let rise 50 to 60 minutes.
- While dough is rising place all of the blueberry sauce ingredients in a small pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, once boiling reduce heat to medium low and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until sauce has started to thicken. Transfer to a small bowl cover and allow to cool. Such will thicken as it cools.
- When the dough has doubled in size turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a 7x11 rectangle and with a lightly floured rolling pin.
- Spread half of the blueberry sauce over the dough and sprinkle the wild blueberries over the sauce.
- Starting with the long edge roll dough tightly.
- Slice and place in baking dish cover and allow to rise for 60 minutes.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until it starts to brown slightly.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool a bit, about 5 minutes.
- While buns are cooling mix together the glaze ingredients until completely smooth.
- Pour glaze over the buns.
- Serve buns with some of the blueberry sauce.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Have fun and enjoy!!!
- Serving Size: 1 Bun
- Calories: 269
- Sugar: 23.5
- Sodium: 201.3
- Fat: 4.7
- Saturated Fat: 1.9
- Carbohydrates: 52.9
- Fiber: 2.4
- Protein: 5.1
Sarah - Craft Invaders says
These just look amazing Celeste, and the photos are fab too - no wonder I am always hungry!
Thanks Sarah for the compliment, give these a try and have a wonderful week!
Becky, Cuddle Fairy says
These look gorgeous! What a fabulous recipe. I love anything with blueberry. These look amazing & your instructions are clear & easy to follow. x
Thanks Becky, That's good to know, I always agonize over how to word the instructions so everyone can understand how to create the recipes I share.
Regina L. L. Wells says
This is beyond amazing, Celeste! I wish we weren't in the middle of a snow storm...I might just have to run out to the grocery store. LOL! Do you think that honey could be substituted for the powdered sugar to make the glaze?
If you have a blender or a really good food processor you may be able to make your own powdered sugar. Just process regular sugar until it becomes a very fine powder. I wish we could get some of that snow here in Texas, but I don't think we will be getting any this year. Stay warm and have a wonderful week.
Thanks, I hope you like it.
Linda at Mixed Kreations says
Oh Yum! These look amazing. I have never had blueberry buns before but I do love blueberries. Thanks for sharing your recipe!
They are so delicious, please enjoy!
Absolutely love this, get in my belly right this moment! Totally pinning 🙂 xo
Thanks Jess, enjoy!!!
These look AMAZING - your photos are so pretty. I like how you've added in the fresh time. I'm not a massive blueberry fan but quite like fresh ones with cream. Think I'd give these a go though!
Thanks Laura, I hope you give this a try. Enjoy!!!
Easy Peasy Life Matters says
Oh these look to die for!! Such yummy flavor combos 🙂
Marilyn Lesniak says
Celeste this image of the rolls is makng me hungry! I definitly need to try these, may e Sunday morning? Thanks for sharing! #yumtum
My daughter ate almost all of them by herself, I had to make another batch.They are the perfect with a cup of hot coffee.
This recipe looks so yummy! Hi, I'm Anita visiting from Freedom Fridays.
Ducks n a Row says
Celeste, they look just delicious!
They are delicious!!!!
Blessing | BB's Pantry says
These look sooo good!! #YumTum
They are good, I've have made two pans this week, my 20 year-old daughter loves them.
Erin @ Stay At Home Yogi says
This looks absolutely delicious and it doesn't hurt that they are gorgeous too!
Hi Celeste, this look wonderful! They look like a rather nice variation of a Chelsea bun. This is a recipe I will trying for sure in the future and I have a feeling they will go down a treat!
I had never heard of Chelsea Bun, after looking them up on line, you are right, they are similar. I hope you give these a try.
Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!
Marilyn Lesniak says
Thank you for sharing this delicious recipe at The Recipe Sharing Pin and Yum Party! I hope to see you next week.
Thanks Marilyn,and thanks for hosting the party.
Michelle @ Giraffes Can Bake says
Wow, these look incredible! That flavour pairing is to die for!
Thank you Michelle, You have to give these a try.
this looks delicious! I never thought of adding thyme or herbs to my sweet recipes! I've pinned this for later! Yum, thanks for linking up this week and well done on being featured!
Celeste, seriously? I'm starving and these ingredients are calling my name! If the ingredients didn't the photos certainly would! What gorgeous images of each step of the recipe, amazing! Seriously what could be better than fresh lemon and blueberries? Makes it even better that the blueberries have antioxidants. I have pinned this, we have to make it soon!
These look AMAZING! Thank you for sharing!
Thanks Jessica, I hope you give them a try.
Heather @MySweetMission.net says
Thank you Celeste for linking up your Lemon Thyme Blueberry Buns at the Creative Muster Party! They look absolutely amazing and your pictures are beautiful too! We hope you'll stop by tonight at 6 pm EST to party with us again. Your post is one of my #FavoritePosts this week, so it's been shared on Pinterest with my followers. 🙂 ~Heather
Thank you Heather, I'll be sure to link up again this week.
Amanda @ The Kolb Corner says
Oh my gosh these look AMAZING! My mouth is watering. Thank you for sharing at Merry Monday!!!
Hi Amanda, these are amazing! I hope you like them.
Lisa B. says
Good Morning!! I wanted to stop by and let you know your post has been selected as a feature for the Welcome Home Wednesdays Link Party!! Stop by to see your post lined up and grab your Featured Button too!!
Thanks so much Lisa, I really appreciate the feature.
Mrs. AOK says
OH.MY.WORD! I want these!! These sound and look AMAZING!!
Thank you for sharing with us at #MMBH-pinned!
You are welcome! Enjoy!!!
Miz Helen says
Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you have a great day and enjoy your new Red Plate!
Thanks Miz Helen for featuring my recipe.
Have yourself a wonderful weekend.
These look amazing! I can't wait to try them.
They are so delicious, my daughter ate most of them and I had to make a second batch.
Lou Lou Girls says
Hello Fabulous! I'm just stopping by to let you know that your yummy blueberry buns will be featured at our party tonight! Woo Hoo! Pinned and tweeted. Thanks for sharing them with us and we hope to see you tonight. Lou Lou Girls
Deborah Davis says
Girl, these are a hit! Your photos look so mouthwatering! My hubby would love these with tea in the morning! Thanks for sharing your healthy, easy and delicious, Lemon Thyme Blueberry Buns with us at the Healthy Happy Green & Natural Party. I'm pinning and sharing.
The Reader's Tales - A Swiss lifestyle blog says
These look AMAZING Celeste – lovely photos. Happy Easter
Thanks so much. I hope you had a very Happy easter weekend.
Jennifer Olson says
These look absolutely amazing, I can't wait to make them.
I do have one question though...What temperature is the oven on when you cook these?
Thanks and have a great day!
Jennifer the temperature is 350. I will make that correction in the recipe. Thanks and enjoy!