Crispy Baked Cauliflower Steaks – These panko crusted, oven baked cauliflower steaks will blow your taste buds away. You have to give them a try!
Who knew cauliflower could be so good, frankly in my opinion cauliflower is not loaded with flavor. When I was a child my mother would serve it in a medley with broccoli and carrots or alone smothered in cheese sauce. However, its lack of flavor makes it very versatile, great to use when making a vegan white sauce or mock rice in raw recipes. Now there are steaks, yeah cauliflower steaks. I know it’s nothing like the real thing for you meat eaters, but let me tell you these babies are loaded with flavor. Actually this is my veggie version of chicken-fried chicken. While in the oven the aroma filled my kitchen, my daughter thought I was cooking chicken for her.
Seasoning is key to making cauliflower more flavorful. Lately I have been making my own seasoning blends and this one is what used when seasoning these cauliflower steaks. Simply mix and store in an airtight container.
I picked up two heads one of them green just for the fun of it. When picking the cauliflower, pick one with the florets pretty tight together, the florets stay together more when slicing. You will have some fall off but that’s ok, they can be smaller steaks or little poppers.
So now all that needs to be done is dip in the batter, dip in the crumbs and bake in the oven.
At first glance it looks like it could be a piece of fried chicken, don’t you think.
Served up as the main ingredient in a salad makes this a filling lunch or light dinner.
- SPICE BLEND
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried minced onions
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.
- Transfer to an airtight container for storage.
- 1 to 2 heads of cauliflower, 2 for serving four or more
- DIPPING BATTER
- 3/4 cup hemp or plain almond milk
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast, non vegans can use parmesan
- 2 cups whole wheat panko crumbs
- 1/4 cup spice blend from above
- SERVING SAUCE
- 1/2 cup vegan mayo, regular for non vegans
- 3 tablespoons sweet chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, spray a baking rack with non-stick cooking spray and place rack onto a shallow cookie sheet, set aside.
- Wash and slice the cauliflower.
- Blend milk, hemp seeds and nutritional or parmesan in a blender until smooth, transfer to a container with deep sides.
- Mix together panko crumbs and spice blend and place into another deep sided dish.
- Dip the cauliflower into the batter and cover both sides, dip into the crumbs and place on prepared baking pan.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until fork tender.
- Serve as a main with a salad, rice or pasta.
- Serving Size: 1 steak
- Calories: 180
- Sugar: 3.3
- Sodium: 248.4
- Fat: 6.9
- Saturated Fat: 0.5
- Carbohydrates: 20.2
- Fiber: 6.3
- Protein: 11.9
- Cholesterol: 0