Smooth, creamy with a bit of spice, and if you aren’t careful, you’ll find yourself eating the whole bowl by yourself.
It’s super easy to make and that’s a good thing, because once you make it for a crowd, it’ll be gone before you know it. Served up with a side of veggies and crackers, it makes a perfect afternoon snack or if you’re like me, it may end up being your dinner some nights. Only 7 ingredients, and if you opt out of the optional ingredient, make it 6.
If you like, mix in a bit of vegetable stock and you’ll have yourself a killer soup.
Or you can use as a spread on wraps, sandwiches, or pasta – One spread, endless possibilities!
If you make this recipe, I would love to know how you use it, I’m always open to new ideas.Print
- 1 1/2 cup uncooked red lentils
- 1 large red pepper
- 3 to 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon of tahini (optional)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- sea salt to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 475 degrees.
- Place pepper on a shallow baking pan, bake in oven 30 to 40 minutes, until skin is charred, turning twice during roasting.
- While the red pepper is roasting, bring 2 cups of water to a boil in stock pot. Add lentils to pot and reduce heat to simmer and cook 25 to 30 minutes.
- Add water as needed to make sure lentils don’t burn. Should be barely covered with liquid, not too much water and stir occasionally to avoid sticking.
- While lentils continue to cook, check the pepper, when done, remove from oven and place in a paper bag or wrap in aluminum foil. When cool enough to handle, remove skin and stems and place in food processor of blender.
- When lentils are tender, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before adding to food processor or blender with the red pepper.
- Add in remaining ingredients and process until smooth.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Transfer to serving bowl, add veggies, crackers and serve.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 181
- Sugar: 2.3
- Sodium: 162.8
- Fat: 0.6
- Saturated Fat: 0.1
- Carbohydrates: 33
- Fiber: 5.8
- Protein: 12.2
- Cholesterol: 0