This quick and easy Cilantro Jalapeno Hummus is a wonderful combination of flavors. A take off the traditional hummus recipe, but spiced-up a bit.
If you like the combination of jalapeños and cilantro you are going to love this hummus. A friend of mine shared her grocery store purchased jalapeño hummus with me and I couldn't stop eating it, so delicious. ????
Inspired, I decided to make my own Cilantro Jalapeño Hummus. Traditional hummus recipes use tahini, I didn't have any so I left it out.
Let's talk about cilantro. The grocery store hummus had little or no cilantro added. I love it, so I added a great big hand full.
Cilantro is an herb many don't like, it has been described as having a soapy taste. However, I think it adds loads of flavor and complexity. If you really don't like it, simply leave it out. ????
For an extra layer of goodness I added sliced tomatoes and red onions mixed with more cilantro on top.
This tasty snack comes together in no time. It all goes into a food processor or blender and blended until smooth and creamy.
Optional add-in is an avocado, for added flavor and creaminess.
- 2 15oz. cans of chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 to 3 cloves of garlic
- juice of 1 lime and 1 lemon or simply use one of the same
- 2 to 3 jalapeño peppers, diced, more if you like it really spicy
- 1 or 2 hand fulls of fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon cumin (optional)
- salt to taste
- Tomato Topping
- 1 ½ cup sliced grape tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped red onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- drizzle of avocado or olive oil
- Place all hummus ingredients into a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Transfer to serving bowl.
- In another bowl mix together the tomato topping ingredients and spoon some of the mixture on top of the hummus.
- Serve with veggie slices, tortilla chips or crackers.
This Cilantro Jalapeño Hummus is great as a sandwich or wrap spread.