If you’re a Chocolate Lover, you are going to love, love, love this Chocolate Coconut Streusel Muffin. This muffin has layers and layers of chocolate goodness, that will have you licking your fingers.
The idea for this recipe came to me in the middle of the night, but isn’t that when all great ideas are born, oh and let’s not forget about the shower.
I made it three times before getting it right, and trust me it is right, based on the feedback from my taste testers. They couldn’t believe they were vegan.
The batter is filled with cacao powder, shaved chocolate, chocolate chunks and coconut flakes.
Streusel topping has vegan butter, coconut sugar, flour and coconut chips.
Look at all the moist deliciousness! Warning, you may have an out-of-body experience while eating one of these.
Only problem, it’ll be gone before you know it.
- Muffin Batter
- 1 cup organic all-purpose flour
- 1 cup organic whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 ½ cup organic natural cane sugar (this is a vegan sugar)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 ¾ cup almond or cashew milk or dairy milk for non vegans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons organic cacao powder
- ⅓ cup plus 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- ½ cup coconut flakes
- ½ cup dark chocolate, shaved
- ½ cup dark chocolate chunks
- Streusel Topping
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ½ cup organic coconut sugar
- ½ cup organic coconut chips
- ½ cup coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together vegan butter, coconut sugar, flour and coconut chips with the back of a fork or your fingertips until mixture forms small crumbs, set aside.
- For these muffins I used an over-sized parchment muffin cup, by Paper Chef, you can find them at any cooking store or here.
- Place the liners in the muffin pan
- Mix the first six ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to remove any lumps.
- Add the milk and vanilla and mix well using a hand mixer.
- Add the cacao powder and oil and mix well.
- Using a spatula fold in the coconut flakes, shaved and chunk chocolate, until well combined.
- Fill muffin liners to the bottom rim of liner.
- Sprinkle the streusel evenly on the top of batter.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean or when top of muffin bounces back when touched.
- While muffins are baking mix together the coconut cream, maple syrup and cacao powder until well combined, set aside.
- Allow muffins to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before pouring on the glaze. The glaze will be absorbed into the muffin.
- Serve and enjoy!