Easy and delicious, Lemon Thyme Blueberry Buns, perfect for a brunch gathering or an afternoon snack with a spot of tea.
Blueberries, a superfood that’s low in calories and high in nutrients like vitamin C, K, manganese and fiber. One cup of blueberries contains about 84 calories and 15 grams of carbohydrates. Blueberries are also filled with antioxidant which protect our bodies from free radicals that can contribute to aging and diseases like cancer.
They are best when eaten fresh, but I have to admit I like them better when they are added to pancakes, muffins and recipes like these Lemon Thyme Blueberry Buns.
In this recipe I added lemon and thyme to the blueberries when making the sauce, it may sound like a strange combination to some, but these three flavors together add a bit of subtle earthiness that’s so delicious.
For this recipe you can use fresh or frozen blueberries when making this sauce, as it cools it will thicken and become more of a jam. Dried wild blueberries were added before rolling the dough for an extra blueberry touch.
This blueberry sauce is lightly sweetened with maple syrup so that it doesn’t over-sweeten when the sugar glaze is added.
Serve these and everyone will be licking their fingers and begging for more. I serve mine with a bit of the blueberry sauce on top. The tartness of the blueberries is absolutely amazing with the sweetness of the glaze.
If you make these Lemon Thyme Blueberry Buns let me know what you think. Take a picture and post it on Instagram and tag it #thewholeserving.
Lemon Thyme Blueberry Buns
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons natural cane sugar
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons, melted Earth Balance vegan butter or real butter if not vegan
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (optional)
- Blueberry Sauce
- 2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup dried wild blueberries
- 1 1/2 cup natural cane powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- Heat almond milk in the microwave in a small bowl for 20 to 25 seconds or until warm to the touch, not too hot or it will kill the yeast.
- Stir in the sugar and sprinkle the yeast over the warm milk, allow to proof for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Prepare a 7x11 or 9x13 by brushing with oil or spraying with a non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, salt and thyme. Add in the milk mixture and melted vegan butter.
- Mix until the dough comes together. Transfer to a floured work surface, sprinkle dough with a small amount of flour and knead dough for 5 minutes.
- Rub large bowl with vegan butter and place the dough in the bowl, cover and let rise 50 to 60 minutes.
- While dough is rising place all of the blueberry sauce ingredients in a small pot over medium-high heat and bring to a boil, once boiling reduce heat to medium low and simmer 10 to 15 minutes or until sauce has started to thicken. Transfer to a small bowl cover and allow to cool. Such will thicken as it cools.
- When the dough has doubled in size turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and shape into a 7x11 rectangle and with a lightly floured rolling pin.
- Spread half of the blueberry sauce over the dough and sprinkle the wild blueberries over the sauce.
- Starting with the long edge roll dough tightly.
- Slice and place in baking dish cover and allow to rise for 60 minutes.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until it starts to brown slightly.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool a bit, about 5 minutes.
- While buns are cooling mix together the glaze ingredients until completely smooth.
- Pour glaze over the buns.
- Serve buns with some of the blueberry sauce.
- Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Have fun and enjoy!!!
|Serving Size||1 Bun|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 262kcal Calories from fat 35|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 4g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|