Layers of sweet crisp apple slices garnished with smooth vegan caramel, dark chocolate, walnuts and coconut – Apple Nachos with Vegan Caramel Sauce, it’s like eating a delicious candy apple.
If you like caramel or chocolate dipped apples you are going to love these Apple Nachos with Vegan Caramel Sauce.
This recipe is inspired by a decadent candy apple a friend shared with me a few months ago. The candy apple she shared was dipped in caramel, then chocolate and covered with nuts and coconut, it was so sinfully delicious.
In an effort to recreate that experience for a gathering of friends I decided to make Apple Nachos, but I would need a vegan caramel sauce. I remembered making a recipe I found at Blissful Vegan for Homemade Twix Bars which had a layer of vegan caramel sauce. The caramel sauce in this recipe is a variation of that recipe.
This is such an easy recipe, perfect for an after school snack or for a large gathering. This caramel sauce recipe yields about 1 1/2 cups of caramel, so you will have plenty for lots of nachos or you can use it as a dip. Kids love this stuff and if they are like my daughter who I can’t convince to try dates because of the way they look, just don’t tell them there are dates in it.
When picking an apple I chose a crunchy sweet-tart apple, Cripps Pink, also known as Pink Lady. You can get more information about apple varieties at the Washington Apple Commission.
Have fun with this recipe, if you’re having a party, add in more topping, set up an Apple Nachos with Vegan Caramel Sauce bar and let your guest add their favorite topping. If you make these, I would love to see your version. Take a picture and share with me on Facebook or Instagram and add the hashtag #thewholeserving.
- 10 pitted dates
- ¾ cups warm water
- ½ cup maple syrup, grade B
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 to 3 medium crisp apples, Cripps Pink also known as Pink Lady
- 1 medium lemon
- ⅔ cups vegan chips or dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped walnuts or nut of your choice
- ⅓ to ½ cup dried coconut flakes
- 2 plastic sandwich zip bags
- Place the pitted dates in the bowl of a blender and add in the water. Blend until smooth and creamy, adding more water if needed. If your dates are nice and moist you may not need to add more water.
- Transfer date mixture to a small saucepan. Add the maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla and salt to the date mixture and whisk to combine.
- Continue to whisk over medium low heat 5 to 7 minutes. Mixture should be completely smooth. Transfer to a glass container, set aside and allow to cool to room temperature. Mixture will thicken as it cools.
- Core the apples and thinly slice them using a mandoline or sharp knife. Place slices on a large platter or plate and squeeze the lemon over the apples to prevent browning.
- Melt the chocolate chips in a small saucepan over medium low heat, stirring as it melts.
- Place a plastic resealable sandwich bag over a small glass, pour the melted chocolate in bag and zip the bag, repeat with the cooled vegan caramel sauce.Cut a very small tip from one of the bottom corners of each bag.
- Arrange apples on serving platter, drizzle caramel and chocolate sauce over the apples and sprinkle with walnuts and coconut.
- Serve and enjoy!!!