Many many years ago in the late 80’s, when I lived in Atlanta, I entered an amateur recipe contest, US Open Cook-Off.
I submitted several recipes, but it was my Apple Cinnamon Sticky Buns that won me the entry into the bread division competition. On the day of the competition, my parents drove up from my home town of Augusta, for support.
When the judges approached my table, I tried to read their faces for a clues, but nothing, and then the waiting for the announcement of the winners. We waited and waited and waited, finally I decided to go grab a bit to eat with my parents, there was no way I would win. I left something inside, went back to get it and, what do ya know, my name was being called for third place winner, WOW, so this is my award-winning Sticky Bun recipe.
Over the years I’ve only made this bread once or twice since then. When my daughter found out about this, she insisted I make it again, so here it is my Award Winning Apple Cinnamon Sticky Buns.
This will turn into yummy goodness. See that empty spot, someone couldn’t wait for the invert.
A lot has changed over the years, one of them being my eating habits, so I made a few changes to the original recipe. I omitted the eggs, Earth Balance replaced butter, coconut sugar for white sugar and I added whole wheat pasty flour for softness. Still an amazingly delicious bread.
That’s some sticky goodness! Get your napkins ready.
Sweet juicy apple tossed in cinnamon, brown sugar, rolled up in soft tender bread. It’s like eating a cinnamon apple pie.
Apple Cinnamon Sticky Buns
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup almond milk
- 3 tablespoons, Earth Balance Vegan butter, or real butter
- 2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pasty flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar, or regular sugar
- GLAZE TOPPING
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 stick Earth Balance Vegan butter(1/2 cup)
- 1 cup pecans
- 3 tablespoons room temperature Earth Balance Vegan butter
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 2 medium apples, thinly sliced or shredded
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pecans, optional
- Pour almond milk into large measuring cup, add earth balance and heat in microwave for about 45 seconds or until everything is warn and melted. Mixture should be warn, not hot, if too hot it will kill the yeast.
- Sprinkle on yeast set aside and allow to proof at least 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together flour, salt and sugar. Create a well in the middle of flour and pour in yeast mixture.
- Mix flour and milk together, when dough comes together, transfer to lightly floured surface and knead for 2 to 3 minutes. Sprinkling on flour as needed to keep dough from sticking to surface or your fingers, you should have a soft springy ball.
- Place ball into a greased bowl, cover with towel or plastic wrap and allow to rise for one hour in warm place.
- While dough is rising mix together ¾ cup of brown sugar and 1 stick of room temperature Earth Balance Vegan butter and spread on bottom of 9x13 pan, set aside.
- Peel apples and slice into thin strips or shred in food processor, mix together in medium bowl with 2 teaspoons of cinnamon, cover and set aside.
- When dough is ready roll it out on a lightly floured parchment paper into a large rectangle about ¼ inch thick.
- Spread on 2 tablespoons Earth Balance Vegan butter, top with brown sugar and apples and pecans.
- Carefully roll from the longest end using parchment paper to help keep roll tight.
- With seam side down, carefully cut into 2 inch slices and place in pan. Melt remaining Earth Balance and brush on rolls.
- Cover and allow to rise again for about 1 hour, during last 15 minutes of rising, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until top is golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly, invert, serve and enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 314kcal Calories from fat 149|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 17g||26%|
|Saturated Fat 8g||40%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Shared with Great Idea Thursday’s Link Party, What’s On The List, Joyful Healthy Eats-Show Stopper Saturday, Little Miss Celebration, House of Yumm-Saturday Night Fever, New Mrs Adventures-Tasty Tuesday, Lou Lou Girls-Fabulous Party, Pint Sized Baker, Inside Bru Crew Life