Rich and hearty, this Un-Cheesy Potato Broccoli Soup is full of flavor and comes together in minutes!
How’s the weather where you are? Are you in an area that got lots of snow? If you are I hope you are staying safe and warm.
No snow here in Texas, just cold temps in the 30 and 40’s with lots of wind. My daughter really wants there to be snow. We moved to Texas from Colorado over 12 years ago and she misses the snow. I have to admit I miss it as well, and it would be nice to have snow for a day or two.
When the weather gets frigid cold that’s when I crave big bowls of soup.
I hadn’t done my grocery shopping but had some broccoli and some potatoes so I made a batch of Un-Cheesy Potato Broccoli Soup.
What’s nice is this soups comes together in 30 minutes.
For a creamy cheesy texture I added a batch of vegan creamy cheese, which is simply a blending of potatoes, carrots, olive oil and nutritional yeast.
This soup is a good one to enjoy when the weather is cold and blustery. This weekend I was able to convince my daughter who doesn’t like soup of any kind to give it a try, she loved it.
This creamy, flavorful, delicious bowl of Un-Cheesy Potato Broccoli Soup can be enjoyed as a soup, or as a snack over crispy tortilla chips with salsa.
Doesn’t that look delicious to you? Do me a favor, give it a try and let me know what you think.
- 2½ lbs. golden potatoes, diced
- 2 carrots, washed,peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 32 oz. box of vegetable stock
- 12 oz. bag of broccoli florets or one head of broccoli with florets cut into small pieces
- ½ cup nutritional yeast
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place 2 cups of the diced potatoes and carrots in a medium stock pot with 8 cups of water and bring to a boil. Boil until vegetables are fork tender.
- While potatoes and carrots are boiling, heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large stock pot, add in the onions and saute until onions are translucent. Add the garlic, oregano and thyme and salute for 1 to 2 minutes more, until fragrant.
- Add 1 container of the vegetable stock (4 cups), and the remaining diced potatoes, stir and bring to a boil, reduce heat a simmer until potatoes are fork tender.
- While potatoes are boiling remove smaller pot of potatoes and carrots from pot and place in bowl of blender. Rinse pot add in more water and bring to a boil and add in the broccoli cooking until just tender. You don't want them to overcook.
- Add nutritional yeast, ⅓ cup of olive oil and 1 cup of vegetable stock to blender bowl with the potatoes and carrots. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- When potatoes are ready coarsely smash them using a potato masher or fork.
- Pour the blended mixture into the smashed potatoes and add 2 cups of vegetable stock, broccoli florets and the nutmeg, stir to combine and simmer 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Add in more vegetable stock if needed. Taste and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon into bowls, serve and enjoy!