In my search to find a vegan sour cream alternative, I have tried many a recipe but they all had something missing. Or they were soy based, and I want to have a soy and dairy free sour cream. But this recipe is the best ever, really!
I made one with soaked cashews, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar – didn’t like it.
Another with soaked cashews, lemon juice and nutritional yeast – didn’t like it.
Finally I used soaked cashews and almonds, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and nutritional yeast -LOVED IT!!!!
It’s smooth, creamy, flavorful and super versatile.
You can use it in stroganoff, on top of soups, chillies, salads, tacos and sweetened with a bit of agave or maple syrup it’s a great fruit and dessert topping.
I used it when I served up these soft tacos, I didn’t mention it wasn’t the real thing, and no one was the wiser. Give it a try, take an empty, cleaned sour cream container and fill it with this stuff and see what happens.
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked
- ¼ cup raw slivered almonds
- ¼ cup lemon juice, about 2 small lemons
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon himalayan sea salt
- Place cashews and almonds in a bowl and cover with purified water. Soak overnight, if you want this goodness sooner, soak for 2 to 3 hours.
- Drain and rinse well and place in blender.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. You may have to stop and scrape down the sides occasionally or add a bit of water as needed.
- Taste and season with more salt if needed.
- Transfer to glass container and store in fridge. Use within a week or two.
Shared with: Made From Pinterest-Best Recipies & DIY Project Link Party, The NY Melrose Family-Whimsy Wednesday Link Party, Coastal Charm-Show & Share Link Party, Memories By The Mile-Treasure Box Tuesday , Lou Lou Girls-Fabulous Party, Mandy’s Recipe Box-Totally Talented Tuesday Link Party, Sugar Bee Crafts-Show and Tell, Home Stories A to Z- Tutorials & Tips Link Party, Nap-Time Creations-Create Link Inspire Party