- 1 cup uncooked wheat berries
- 10 to 12 oz. bag of baby spinach, kale and chard mix
- 1 8oz. package of Trader Joe's steamed and peeled baby beets
- 1/2 of medium red onion, chopped
- 2/3 cups dried cranberries
- 2 ozs. of goat cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic glaze (I used Trader Joe's brand)
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- extra glaze for garnishing
- Place wheat berries, four cups of water in small stock pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to simmer, and cover with top. Stirring occasionally.
- When berries have cooked for about 35 minutes, start checking for doneness. Berries should be chewy not tough or hard. Check every 5 to 10 minutes until done. Should take about 40 minutes.
- Drain berries and transfer to large bowl.
- While wheat berries are cooking wash and spin the greens.
- Slice baby beets into quarters and chop red onion.
- In a glass jar, mason jars are great for this, place dressing ingredients and shake to mix.
- Toss the wheat berries with 2 tablespoons of dressing.
- Time to build the salad
- Place handful of greens on serving dish, spoon 1/2 cup or more wheat berries onto greens, top wheat berries with a few beets, onions, cranberries and a bit of crumbled goat cheese.
- Drizzle on a bit more balsamic glaze.
- Serve and Enjoy
- Calories: 338
- Sugar: 19.7
- Sodium: 286.4
- Fat: 8.1
- Saturated Fat: 2.8
- Carbohydrates: 61.8
- Fiber: 11.1
- Protein: 11.4
- Cholesterol: 6.5