- 1 cup cooked black rice or brown rice if you can't find black
- 1 15 oz. can black beans
- 3/4 to 1 cup sweet potatoes cooked and mashed
- 1 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoonsHomemade Vegan Barbecue Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium to large red onion sliced
- 1/2 cup minched pineapple
- 2 tablespoons blueberry balsamic glaze
- Place black rice in a medium bowl.
- Open can of black beans, rinse, drain and with clean hands mash them over the bowl with the rice, some of the beans will be unmashed and that's ok. You do not want to over mash.
- Add in the liquid smoke, sugar, garlic powder, paprika, salt, bread crumbs and barbeque sauce.
- Using your fingers gently mix all of the ingredients together until it can be molded into a burger without falling apart. If mixture is too dry add in a bit more sauce, if too wet add in more bread crumbs.
- Mold the mixture into desired size burger. More for a larger burger, less for sliders.
- If preparing burgers in a skillet, add small amount of oil to heated skillet to lightly coat the bottom.
- Add burgers to the pan and cook until browned on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- If using a grill pan, brush pan with oil and grill the burgers until browned on each side, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- While burgers are cooking heat a skillet over medium high heat, add oil, when simmering sauté onions until they are translucent, add in the pineapples and glaze and continue to cook another 3 to 4 minutes.Add in more glaze or a bit of water if it starts to stick.
- When burgers have cooled slightly, serve on buns with onions.
- Serving Size: 3 oz
- Calories: 165
- Sugar: 6.5
- Sodium: 285.3
- Fat: 2.4
- Saturated Fat: 0.3
- Carbohydrates: 31.1
- Fiber: 5.3
- Protein: 5.2
- Cholesterol: 0