- STRAWBERRY SHRUB
- 3 cups fresh clean quartered strawberries
- 3 cups turbinado sugar
- 3 cups apple cider vinegar
- SPARKLING STRAWBERRY SHRUB
- sparkling water
- Strawberry Shrub to taste
- In a large bowl mix the quartered strawberries and sugar, lightly crush some of the berries with your fingers.
- Cover bowl and place in the fridge 6 hours or 1 to 2 days. Stirring occasionally to help dissolve the sugar.
- Strain syrup that has formed from the fruit using a fine mesh strainer or cheesecloth, into a large bowl. Press gently on fruit to extract as much of the syrup as possible.
- Scrape any undissolved sugar that remains into the syrup.
- Whisk the apple cider vinegar into the syrup.
- Pour into a clean bottle, cap bottle, shake to mix the undissolved sugar and refrigerate for several days. I left mine for about a week and shook it everyday to dissolve any sugar. Eventually the acids in the juice and vinegar will dissolve any remaining sugar. The leftover fruit can be used in smoothies or over ice cream.
- TO MAKE SPARKLING STRAWBERRY SHRUB
- Pour desired amount of water into glass and add Strawberry Shrub syrup to taste, mix and serve.
Sparkling Strawberry Shrub adapted from Michael Dietsch, Cold-Processed Shrub at Serious Eats