- 15 oz. package extra firm tofu
- 40 to 45 Almond Nut Thins crackers
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground sea salt
- 3 tablespoons ground flax seed
- 1/2 cup warm water
- Use tofu press to press tofu, if you don't have one, this method works. Place drained tofu on baking sheet lined with a kitchen towel and paper towels, place more paper towels and kitchen towel on top of tofu. Place another baking sheet on top, with a heavy skillet in pan, allow tofu to press for about 15 minutes.
- While tofu is being pressed, place crackers in a zip bag and crush with rolling pin. When crackers are all crushed add garlic, onion, chipotle, red pepper and salt to zip bag and mix well.
- Empty crushed cracker mix in a small bowl and set aside.
- In another small bowl, mix ground flax seed and warm water until well combined.
- Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees and spray baking rack with cooking oil and place in baking pan, set aside.
- Take pressed tofu and cut into 1 inch cubes.
- Whisk flax mixture to assure it's well combined, dip tofu into flax, then into crumbs, place on rack. I use a rack so I don't have to turn the tofu during the cooking time. If you don't have a rack, use a parchment lined pan and turn your tofu halfway through cooking time.
- Bake for 15 minutes. While tofu bakes prepare dipping sauce.(recipe below)
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Serving Size: 8 Bites
- Calories: 345
- Sugar: 2.7
- Sodium: 848.7
- Fat: 19.4
- Saturated Fat: 3.1
- Carbohydrates: 26.8
- Fiber: 4.9
- Protein: 20.2
- Cholesterol: 0