A breakfast treat, these muffins are like desserts–just one serving is fine, and not every day. Guests enjoy these and often ask for the recipe–it’s another that causes people to say, “I can’t believe there’s no egg!”
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, I used half whole wheat, half all-purpose
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon golden flaxseed, ground to a fine powder
- 1 cup soymilk, I used almond milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons organic applesauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup fruit (blueberries, chopped strawberries, bananas, etc.; optional) I used 2/3 cups of fruit
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin tin or line with muffin cups.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together flaxseed, soy or almond milk, water, coconut oil, applesauce, lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry, and stir until just combined. Fold in the fruit.
- Spoon batter into the muffin tin, dividing among muffin cups.
- Bake for 15 -25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into middle of muffin comes out clean.