A breakfast treat, these muffins are like desserts--just one serving is fine, and not every day. Guests enjoy these and often ask for the recipe--it's another that causes people to say, "I can't believe there's no egg!"
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, I used half whole wheat, half all-purpose
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon golden flaxseed, ground to a fine powder
- 1 cup soymilk, I used almond milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 tablespoons organic applesauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup fruit (blueberries, chopped strawberries, bananas, etc.; optional) I used 2/3 cups of fruit
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease muffin tin or line with muffin cups.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together flaxseed, soy or almond milk, water, coconut oil, applesauce, lemon juice and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry, and stir until just combined. Fold in the fruit.
- Spoon batter into the muffin tin, dividing among muffin cups.
- Bake for 15 -25 minutes, or until toothpick inserted into middle of muffin comes out clean.