Get your workout on, this is not a low calorie treat,
- Muffin Batter
- 1 cup organic all-purpose flour
- 1 cup organic whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup organic natural cane sugar (this is a vegan sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 3/4 cup almond or cashew milk or dairy milk for non vegans
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons organic cacao powder
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate, shaved
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chunks
- Streusel Topping
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup organic coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup organic coconut chips
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, mix together vegan butter, coconut sugar, flour and coconut chips with the back of a fork or your fingertips until mixture forms small crumbs, set aside.
- For these muffins I used an over-sized parchment muffin cup, by Paper Chef, you can find them at any cooking store or here.
- Place the liners in the muffin pan
- Mix the first six ingredients in a large bowl and whisk to remove any lumps.
- Add the milk and vanilla and mix well using a hand mixer.
- Add the cacao powder and oil and mix well.
- Using a spatula fold in the coconut flakes, shaved and chunk chocolate, until well combined.
- Fill muffin liners to the bottom rim of liner.
- Sprinkle the streusel evenly on the top of batter.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean or when top of muffin bounces back when touched.
- While muffins are baking mix together the coconut cream, maple syrup and cacao powder until well combined, set aside.
- Allow muffins to cool for 10 to 15 minutes before pouring on the glaze. The glaze will be absorbed into the muffin.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Serving Size: 1 muffin
- Calories: 528
- Sugar: 50.5
- Sodium: 293.9
- Fat: 26.5
- Saturated Fat: 9.9
- Carbohydrates: 73.2
- Fiber: 5.6
- Protein: 6.5
- Cholesterol: 0