What is chutney anyway?
Merriam Webster’s definition-
:a thick sauce if Indian origin that contains fruits, vinegar, sugar, and spices and is used as a condiment.
My definition of this recipe-
Cranberry Pear Chutney
:simple to make condiment that’s out of this world delicious and nutritious.
Cranberries – a good source of vitamin C, fiber, vitamin E, K, manganese and some naturally occurring phytonutrients .
There’s research that shows cranberries can be beneficial in fighting liver, breast, ovarian and colon cancers.
Pears – a good source of fiber, vitamin B2, C, E, copper and potassium.
Pears are helpful in preventing high blood pressure, cancer, high cholesterol and pear juice can help relieve fever.
This super delicious condiment can be served with just about anything
hot breakfast cereal
This stuff is OMG good with cheese and sliced ciabatta bread!
Give this a try and let me know how you serve yours.
And go ahead, replace your plain ordinary cranberry sauce this holiday season with this super delicious Cranberry Pear Chutney.
Happy Holiday Cooking!
Cranberry Pear Chutney
- 1 1/2 cup fresh washed cranberries
- 1/2 cup chopped onions(about 1/2 a medium onion)
- 2 firm medium pears, chopped into small cubes(about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 three inch sprigs of rosemary (optional)
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Place first 9 ingredients in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce to medium low and stir occasionally.
- Allow to boil until mixture starts to thickens, after 10 minutes stir in dried cranberries and cook for 5 minutes more. It will be ready when liquid coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and transfer to serving dish.
- Serve warm or allow to cool completely.
- Refrigerate unused chutney.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 35kcal Calories from fat 1|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Shared with House on theWay, Inside Bru Crew Life-Time To Sparkle Link Party, What’d You Do This Weekend Link Party#98, Pint Sized Baker, Lou Lou Girls Fabulous Link Party #33, New Mrs. Adventures-Tasty Tuesdays, The NY Melrose Family-Whimsy Wednesday, Ducks ‘N A Row-Wonderful Wednesday Blog Hop #100, Our Three Peas-Wine’d Down Wednesdays, The Best Blog Recipe-Weekend Re-Treat Link Party, Domestic Superhero-Pinworthy Link Party, Dear Creatives Inspiration Spotlight Friday, Show Stopper Saturday Link Party, Petite Allergy Treats-Saturday Night Fever Link Party Kleinworth & Co.-Create Link Inspire Link Party