- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2 cups sliced multi-colored carrots or orange carrots, about 4 medium
- pinch of salt and pepper
- 3 to 4 cloves of finely chopped or minced garlic
- 2 cups diced sweet potatoes
- 3 to 4 tablespoon chopped jalapeño, about one large one
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon each dried oregano, basil and thyme
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup red lentils
- For Garnishing
- fresh cilantro leaves
- sliced jalapeños
- sliced avocado
- Heat oil in a large stock pot over medium high heat add onions and carrots to pot, season with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper, sauté until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add garlic, sweet potatoes, jalapeños and seasonings, sauté until fragrant, about a minute.
- Pour in vegetable stock and add tomato paste, stir until paste is completely combined.
- Add lentils, stir, bring to a boil over medium heat once boiling, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer until potatoes and lentils are tender about 20 to 25 minutes.
- Taste and season with desired amount of salt and pepper.
- Serve stew with fresh cilantro sliced avocado and jalapeños.