Serving options: Vegetarian – sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese. Vegan – sprinkle with Nutritional Yeast
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1 cup dry freekeh
- 1 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 8 oz baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bundle asparagus
- 1/3 cup vegetable stock
- dash of salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
- finely grated parmesan cheese or nutritional yeast for garnishing (optional)
- Place cold water, freekeh and 1/2 tablespoon olive oil in large lidded saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Once boiling, lower heat and simmer 15 minutes or until all water has been absorbed. Remove from heat and transfer to large bowl cover and set aside.
- Pour remaining olive oil in large skillet over medium heat add onions and mushrooms to pan and saute a minute, add garlic and saute until onions are translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add asparagus, vegetable stock and salt and pepper, saute two to three minutes longer. Add more stock as needed.
- Transfer to bowl of freekeh, stir and season with additional salt and pepper to taste as needed.
- Garnish with parsley, cheese or nutritional yeast.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Calories: 176
- Sugar: 2.3
- Sodium: 33.3
- Fat: 4.5
- Saturated Fat: 0.5
- Carbohydrates: 29
- Fiber: 4.8
- Protein: 9.5
- Cholesterol: 0