Trail mix, considered to be the ideal snack for camper or hikers because it’s an easy on the go nutritious energy boosting snack. Well, I’m no hiker or camper, just a super busy person who loves having a quick delicious snack for a quick pick me up in the late afternoon or after a run.
One day while eating a bag of Trader Joe’s soft and juicy dried mango, I thought, this would be really good in a savory trail mix. I remembered seeing a savory recipe on Kitchen Konfidence, a wonderful food blog I love, that included mango. That’s the recipe that inspired this one I’m sharing today. I generally don’t purchase trail mix, because I have a person in my home who is allergic to peanuts, and after finding peanuts in a trail mix that was supposed to be peanut free, I was convinced to make my own. I used what I had on hand, which is what’s so great about trail mix recipes, you can make them your own.
- coconut chips
- dried mango
- dried cranberries
Look at that goodness! Spiced with chipotle chili pepper and carne asada seasoning and sweetened with maple syrup. It has just a subtle spiciness, for more spice add in more.
Beware, this stuff is so good, it’s addicting. I packaged mine in small snack containers of 1/2 cup each for portion control.
Chipotle Trail Mix
- 1 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 2 cups pepitas
- 2 cups whole almonds
- 2 cups whole cashews
- 1 1/2 cups coconut chips
- 4 tablespoon vegan butter
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon carne asada seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fine grind sea salt
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped dried mango
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees, and line a large backing sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together macadamia, pepitas, almonds, cashews and coconut chips.
- Warm vegan butter, maple syrup and seasonings in a medium saucepan until well combined and seasoning is dissolved.
- Spread onto parchment lined baking pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until nuts start to brown, tossing halfway through baking time.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Toss in the dried fruit and store in airtight container.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 402kcal Calories from fat 301|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 33g||51%|
|Saturated Fat 9g||45%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||20%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|