My first experience with wine was with Sutter Home many years ago while in college. It was my final year and I was in a small design class, about seven of us, our professor prepared a nice dinner at her home to celebrate the end of the class. She prepared pasta and salad and served a Sutter Home red with dinner. My first experience I’d say was quite nice and since then I’ve experienced many of the Sutter Home wines. There is a 65-year history of award-winning California wines associated with the Sutter Home family vineyards, at an affordable price I’ll add. That affordability has made it easy to bring friends and family together for celebrating special occasions.
Summer break started two weeks ago, so I decided to get some of my girlfriends together before it gets too hot and too busy. Unfortunately, it’s already too hot so we moved the party indoors, but fortunately we had some cool crisp wines to pair with good food.
Being the vegetarian in the group I decided to make it a meatless gathering. I kept it simple so I could enjoy myself, there’s nothing worse than entertaining friends and not being able to enjoy them because you are too busy preparing. I served a simple cheese and fruit tray to get things started.
It was a work for food party, a few of my friends were busy shaping sliders, while others were slicing onions for some tasty Veggie Sliders with Balsamic Caramelized Onions.
After mixing the veggie slider ingredients together in a bowl, simply shape them and place on a baking pan lined with parchment paper. While sliders were cooking, I caramelized the onions on the stove top using some of the Blueberry Balsamic Glaze I made last week.
I’m certainly not an expert at pairing wines, but I think I did a pretty good job of selecting wines that complemented the menu and satisfied all of my guest.
One of my friends absolutely loves Moscato and would drink it with anything. I on the other hand, love dryer wines like Chardonnay and fortunately for all of us, Sutter Home has a new Moscato blend of wines and I picked a few up for this gathering. Moscato, Moscato Chardonnay, Moscato Red and Moscato Pink.
This Chardonnay Moscato blend is by far my favorite, because it’s Chardonnay and I love Chardonnay. It paired well with the savory flavors of our make, bake and eat pizza, veggie sliders and cheese as well as it did with the sweet and tartness of the fruit from the cheese tray.
I was pleasantly surprised with the Red Moscato, it paired well with the savory and subtly sweet flavors of the caramelized onions I used on the veggie sliders and the pizza. However, when paired with the berries served in clouds of coconut cream for dessert, it was if they were made for each other.
With these new Sutter Home Moscato blends I no longer think of Moscato as only a dessert wine.
Everyone was pleased with the food, the wine, and the company of friends together making lasting memories.
- 1 cup cooked black rice or brown rice if you can't find black
- 1 15 oz. can black beans
- ¾ to 1 cup sweet potatoes cooked and mashed
- 1 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoonsHomemade Vegan Barbecue Sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium to large red onion sliced
- ½ cup minched pineapple
- 2 tablespoons blueberry balsamic glaze
- Place black rice in a medium bowl.
- Open can of black beans, rinse, drain and with clean hands mash them over the bowl with the rice, some of the beans will be unmashed and that's ok. You do not want to over mash.
- Add in the liquid smoke, sugar, garlic powder, paprika, salt, bread crumbs and barbeque sauce.
- Using your fingers gently mix all of the ingredients together until it can be molded into a burger without falling apart. If mixture is too dry add in a bit more sauce, if too wet add in more bread crumbs.
- Mold the mixture into desired size burger. More for a larger burger, less for sliders.
- If preparing burgers in a skillet, add small amount of oil to heated skillet to lightly coat the bottom.
- Add burgers to the pan and cook until browned on both sides, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- If using a grill pan, brush pan with oil and grill the burgers until browned on each side, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- While burgers are cooking heat a skillet over medium high heat, add oil, when simmering sauté onions until they are translucent, add in the pineapples and glaze and continue to cook another 3 to 4 minutes.Add in more glaze or a bit of water if it starts to stick.
- When burgers have cooled slightly, serve on buns with onions.
Be sure to visit Moscato Moments for more info and parings for the new Sutter Home Moscato Blends. What parings and special moments will you make this summer?
f you make this recipe or a version of it, take a picture and share with me on Instagram, tag it #thewholeserving and #MoscatoMoments or leave a comment below. I’d love to see or hear about your version of this Veggie Slider with Balsamic Caramelized Onions