I have another one for you, a Pumpkin recipeeee.
An egg-less pumpkin bread recipe.
Yes, it’s vegan and refined sugar free. I know some of you my be thinking, if it’s vegan it’s going to be dry. But it’s far from dry.
Dates were added to help moisten as well as sweeten, flax oil for moisture and to give it a healthy fat. Flax oil is a great way to add omega-3 to your diet, it supports heart health, promotes healthy skin, hair and nails, and it helps in regulating hormone levels. I sometimes add it to my smoothies.
To help bind the mixture, I used ground flax seed to replace the egg.
Mix dry ingredients in one bowl, wet in another, mix the two together and about 1/2 hour later you have yourself a wonderful coffee companion.
Moist and delicious with a bit of crunch from the almonds and coconut.
Drizzled with coconut cream glaze, makes it pretty and just a bit sweeter.
- Coconut Cream Glaze
- 1 can of full fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1½ tablespoons warm water
- 1 cup almonds
- 1 cup dates,about 15
- 1 cup coconut chips or flakes
- 1¾ cup unbleached white whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice, because I like the flavor
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons flax oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- Gently open can of coconut milk and scoop off the top thickened cream. You can use the clear liquid on the bottom in smoothies.
- Beat using a hand mixer, until cream starts to thicken.
- Add in vanilla and maple syrup and continue to beat to incorporate.
- Transfer to covered storage container and store in fridge until ready for use.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line lightly oiled 13 x 18 cookie sheet with parchment paper, leaving extra parchment on each end for lifting out of pan.
- In small bowl or measuring cup mix ground flax seed with 2½ tablespoons of warm water and set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse almonds to chop them into pea size bits.
- Add in dates and coconut and process into small bits.
- Transfer to storage container and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients, adding 1 cup of the almond/date crumbs to dry mixture.
- Mix wet ingredients in another bowl and add in flax mixture just before adding to dry ingredients.
- Pour wet mixture over dry and mix until well combined.
- Pour batter onto prepared cookie sheet and spread.
- Sprinkle 1½ to 2 cups of almond/date mixture over batter. (any leftover crumbs can be used to sprinkle over hot cereal or ice cream)
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Using ends of parchment paper, lift out bread and place on rack to cool completely.
- Slice bread into 8 rectangles and slice each rectangle into triangles.
- Drizzle with coconut cream glaze and enjoy.