I have been craving these Dark Chocolate Coconut Candy Bites for several weeks now, finally this weekend as I was putting together some goodies for teacher, mail carriers, UPS and crossing guards,so I added it to the list.
If you like dark chocolate and coconut, you are going to love these, they are a lot like a Mounds bar, only better.
The benefits of dark chocolate are all the rage because it contains a higher concentration of cacao seeds than milk chocolate, and that alone makes dark chocolate healthier. The more cacao, the more flavonoids help reduce cell damage related to heart disease. It’s also a good source of antioxidants, but with that being said, dark chocolate comes with calories, which is why it should be consumed in moderation.
Coconuts helps support the immune system because of its anti-viral, bacterial, fungal and parasite properties, and it’s also a heart friendly food.
These candies are so beautiful, the people you give them to won’t know if you purchased or made them.
I think there will be a lot of happy teachers this week, I know I’m happy!
- 3 cups dried coconut flakes, plus 1½ tablespoon for sprinkling
- ⅓ cup pure maple syrup (if you like a sweeter candy, add in 2 to 3 tablespoons of natural cane sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- dash of salt
- 4 oz of dark chocolate, I used Scharffen Berger Dark Chocolate
- Place 2 cups of dried coconut flakes into food processor and process for ten minutes, scraping down sides as needed.
- Coconut will become soft and moist (you will have coconut butter).
- Scrape down sides and add in maple syrup, vanilla, and salt.
- Process until mixture forms into a ball. Place mixture in a large bowl and add in the final cup of dried coconut, use your hands to incorporate.
- Scoop out one tablespoon at a time and from into balls between the palm your hands.
- Place balls on parchment lined baking pan and place in fridge for 30 minutes to and hour or until balls are firm.
- Melt chocolate slowly in a stainless steel bowl over simmering water, stirring gently until completely melted and smooth.
- Roll balls in melted chocolate until completely covered. Scoop out using a fork and place back on parchment lined baking pan. When all balls are covered, sprinkle with coconut and place back into fridge and chill until chocolate has hardened.
- Share with family and friends or keep them all to yourself. Store what's left in covered container in the fridge.
- Have fun and enjoy!
Domestic SuperHero – Pinworthy Projects Link Party #47, Dear Creatives – Inspiration Spotlight, Little Miss Celebration – Best of The Weekend, 3 Little Greenwoods – Shoe Me Saturday Link Party, Food Faith Fitness – Show Stopper Saturday Link Party#70, Belle of the Kitchen – Saturday Night Fever Link Party #65