A new take on an old New Year’s Day tradition, Black-Eyed Peas and Collard Soup, slow-cooked perfection.
Ready or not here it comes, 2016!!!
That means it’s time for my annual black-eyed peas and green, however, this year I’m putting a twist on the traditional black-eyed peas and greens. I’ve put them together on a hearty soup.
This soup is loaded with fire-roasted tomatoes, celery, carrots, onions, potatoes, black-eyed peas and collards. Even if you don’t own a slow-cooker you can still make this soup, just slow cook in a big pot on your stove top.
Start your year off right, make this fill-you-up Black-Eyed Pea and Collard soup, cozy up and enjoy.
Not soup person?, give this Black-Eyed Pea Chili with Collards a try.
Black-Eyed Pea and Collard Soup
- 1 medium yellow or white onion, about 1 cup
- 1 1/2 cups sliced carrots, about 2 carrots
- 3 stalks of celery, sliced
- 2 cups gold potatoes, diced about 3 medium potatoes
- 2 cans 14.5 oz. fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 can 15 oz. tomato sauce
- 1 32 oz. box vegetable stock
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 can 15 oz. black-eyed peas
- 4 cups collard greens, chopped
- Add all ingredients except collards to slow-cooker, stir to combine and cook 3 to 4 hours on high or 6 to 8 on low heat.
- During the last half hour of cooking time add in the collards and stir to combine.
- Taste and add more salt and pepper to taste if needed.
- Serve with bread, have fun and enjoy!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 166kcal Calories from fat 12|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 1g||2%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 9g||36%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Shared with: Costal Charm-Show and Share Link Party, Lou Lou Girls -Fabulous Link Party, Home Stories Ato Z Link Party, Oh My Heartsie Girls Wordless Wednesday. View From In Here, Cornerstone Confessions Titus 2 Tuesday